Cyberpunk Gear  

Posted by RogueDash1 in ,

Now I need to think about what gear my character would carry around with him. This is where the Shadowrun rule books would come in handy, because they have tables and tables of weapons, equipment, cybernetics, and the like that I can look through for ideas on what to make for the costume.

Since I'm making a shooter, one these items needs to be a gun. A handgun in a holster would be the easiest thing to carry around, but a carbine or an assault rifle would also be suitable for a cyberpunk gun bunny. I think I will make the handgun first, and if time permits, or maybe for next year's Dragon*Con, make a big gun.

I think headset or goggles with some sort of targeting array would also go well with the fire support character. In fact, I could turn it into a fancy sensor suite with radar, sonar, lasers, and cameras in it.

For the infiltrator side of things, a utility belt full of goodies sounds about right. Some of those electronic key cards, and a device suitable for picking electronic locks would make for a good start. Other interesting devices that would be worth making would be a grappling hook gun, a sensor jammer, additional sensors that don't fit on the headset, a roll-up computer screen, and even simple things like a flashlight, respirator, and tools. I could probably just take a bunch of the tools I'm going to have to buy to make all this and hang them on a belt.

I actually have no idea yet how I'm going to make all this. I would like everything to look well used, distressed, or heavily repaired or modified, to keep with the punk aspect of the genre. Some Google searches on making props or cyberpunk accessories ought to get me started.

As I actually make this stuff, I'll be adding all the how-to and what-I-did, including pictures, to the blog.

This entry was posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 at Sunday, April 17, 2011 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Just so you know...I'm pretty sure that gun bunny is a female specific description of heavy weapons guy ;)

April 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I'm pretty sure gun bunny can refer to either sex. I've mostly heard it used to refer to gun nuts rather than heavy weapons guys, though that might have been its origin.

April 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites